The COVID-19 pandemic has brought many challenges into our day-to-day activities. Amid all the uncertainty, one thing hasn’t changed. Regardless of your age, you still can incorporate healthy habits to live a better life.
September is Healthy Aging Month. Whether in your 50’s, 60’s, 70’s or older, it’s an appropriate time to reflect on a few tips on how to improve your life while still following coronavirus guidelines such as social distancing and mask wearing.
- Be positive. The past few months have been challenging while living amid a pandemic. Focus on the good news and don’t dwell on the negatives.
- Get moving. Maybe you track your steps — setting a goal of 10,000 a day. Perhaps you ride a stationary bike, practice yoga, take a hike or ride a bicycle. It’s important to exercise at your own pace. Take precautions if you walk in an area where many other people might gather. Wear a mask when necessary.
- Focus on eating well. A healthy diet can reduce the risk of developing chronic diseases such as high blood pressure, diabetes, hypertension, and heart disease. Eating better also helps you better manage chronic diseases you already have.
- Focus on getting a better night’s sleep. Keep your sleep environment as dark as possible. Stop drinking fluids within two hours of bedtime to minimize trips to the bathroom. Limit daytime napping.
- Don’t be reluctant to “reinvent” yourself. Try new foods and exercises. Indulge in different healthy habits and activities.
Remember to consult your physician with any questions you might have regarding your health this month and throughout the year.